Thursday, May 20, 2010

Banana ?Nut? Muffins

It always seems to happen.  You buy the beautiful greenish yellow bananas in hopes that you'll get to them before they're too ripe, but before you know it, they have the black spots indicating they're ripe, or in my case, too far gone.  I'm a little strange, I like my bananas just past green.  I mean - they just turned yellow.  So, I had a bunch of bananas that needed using, because I hate to waste.  It's like that Ziploc commercial where they're throwing money in the garbage can when they throw out their old food.  I feel like that. I know. It's sad.

So, this is what I had on hand:


So, I found a recipe for Banana Bread.  But I didn't have an hour to wait on a loaf of bread to cook.  I needed breakfast relatively soon.  So, I cut the cooking time in half by making them muffins.

So, here's what we do.  I just noticed I've been saying 'so' a lot.  Sorry.  :) So, roll up your sleeves and get to work with me.  Mash the ripe bananas.  It's fun!  See my new masher?  I finally got one!  This was it's maiden voyage.  


Cream the butter and the sugar together.  Then, mix in the eggs and mashed bananas.



Add the flour and salt.  And if you desire nuts (Slap Chop anyone? hahaha) fold them in now.  I typically like pecans in banana nut bread, but I didn't have any on hand.  BUT, I did have some slivered almonds on hand.  They tasted great in the muffins!  I bet walnuts would be a nice addition, too. And if you don't like nuts, or you're allergic, by all means omit them.  That's why the title is ?Nut? 'cause it's totally up to you.  Anyway, don't beat the mixture, gently mix together.  Basically just mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.  If you over mix, the bread will be tough. (Ew)

Get your handy dandy scooper (or tablespoon) and dip the lovely mixture into your greased muffin tins.

Bake at 325 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.  They smell soooooo good baking.  Warm bananas. Mmm.
Pop 'em out and server 'em warm.  They taste great cooled, too, but there's just something about a warm banana nut muffin that is just so right.

 So, (there I go again) would you like the recipe?  Well, here it is regardless.;)
Banana Nut Muffins
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Mash the bananas. 
Cream the butter and sugar together.
Add the eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas.
Mix in the flour and salt.  Fold in nuts if desired.  (Mix gently until just moistened)
Pour into greased muffin tin.
Bake at 325 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I see you're in a muffin phase! ;) Great idea. I'll be trying these soon. I always seem to have bananas that are just too far gone to eat on hand. Thanks for the recipe! I'll need to get a masher, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I'm itching to make these and just checked all my ingredients. I have two super ready bananas. I put another banana in the fridge tonight hoping to speed up the ripening process. I don't have any self-rising flour. So it probably won't work with all-purpose flour, will it? I don't think I have any yeast either. :( Am I out of luck? Do I need to run get some self-rising flour? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete