Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I was really in the mood for some Asian flavors last night.  But what in the world would I have at the house that I could whip up?  I looked on the internet for inspiration, but every recipe I found required several ingredients that I didn't have on hand.  Well, I did finally find inspiration...lettuce wraps.  I loved getting them as an appetizer whenever we went to PF Chang's or Cheesecake Factory.   I had the right ingredients...at least for something that I would like, and got to working.

Since I never found a recipe with everything that I had or would like, I ended up just making my own version, and I think they're turned out very good thank you very much.  Seriously good.  I'm actually eating some of the leftover filling right now...yum.  David had 2nd and 3rds last night and bragged on me.  I just couldn't wait to share this with all of you.  Now, go to your kitchen, and make these! (or go to the grocery store and buy the ingredients and promise to make them!)

Chicken Lettuce Wraps
  • 2 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 4 Tablespoons Canola Oil (divided Use)
  • 1 cup (2 Servings) Minute Rice
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 whole Carrot, Shredded
  • ¾ cups Dry Roasted Peanuts
  • 3 Tablespoons Chopped Onions
  • 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
  • 8 leaves Iceberg Or Bibb Lettuce
For the Sauce:
  • ¼ cups Sugar
  • ¼ cups Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tablespoon Spicy Mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
  • 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
  • 1 dash Crushed Red Pepper
Heat a large frying pan or wok with 3 Tablespoons of oil on high heat and saute the chicken breasts. Remove the chicken and cut into small, bite-size pieces.

Prepare the Minute Rice per package instructions (1 cup rice to 1 cup water). I like to do mine in the microwave for 6 minutes.

For the sauce, dissolve the sugar in water in a small bowl. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and mix well.

In the hot pan/wok, add the remaining Tablespoon of oil, the diced chicken, shredded carrots, peanuts, chopped onion, minced garlic, rice, and stir in the sauce. Saute for a couple of minutes and then serve in the lettuce leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment