Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gardening Little Homemaker

So, I just wanted to say, I'm so proud of myself.  Since we can't afford to hire someone to keep up our landscaping, it's my duty.  David said if it was up to him, he'd dig it all up so he wouldn't have to fool with it.  But, Crazy Me would rather have a nicely landscaped home, so like I said, it's my responsibility.

I invested in a cordless hedge trimmer...much like the one in the picture below.

And let me tell you, it makes all the difference in the world.  Going from hand shears to that, made the job so much easier and quicker. We have bushes and trees all around our house, and I have trimmed and cut and pulled for 3 hours at them.  I felt empowered using a power tool.  I am woman, hear me roar...or meow. 

I was surprised at how many little oak trees were trying to sprout up right next to the house among the bushes.  Since I don't exactly want a towering oak right next to my house one day, I cut them down while they were easy to get at with a lopper.  Which is also one of my favorite gardening investments shown in the picture below.
I think I spent most of my time cutting down little oak trees than anything else.  They were literally popping up all over the place.

Today was a great day to get all this yard work done.  It's not very warm today, and a nice breeze from time to time.  Since it was such a beautiful day, the kids were out with me the whole time running around, swinging, riding bikes, and occasionally helping me pick up limbs to put on the burn pile.

I had to stop before I was completely finished because I knew I needed to go in to get Peamite Bravo down for a nap.  She had worn herself slap out playing that much!

The landscaping will be a work in progress for quite a while until I can get to the maintenance stage.  The house we bought hadn't been lived in for a while before we moved in, so the landscaping had been neglected a lot.  There are briers and weeds everywhere.  I'm holding off on pulling up the briers this Spring until I can harvest the dew berries.  They'll be done soon...I noticed they're already turning green.

In addition to the dew berries, we bought a hanging strawberry plant, and my parents gave me a cutting from their blueberry bush.



The kids are great about taking care of them.  We make sure they have plenty of water almost every day.  Mom said her blueberry bush has lots of blueberries on it that'll be ready soon, but unfortunately, my new plant is too young to have fruit this year.  We have that to look forward to next year!

So this little homemaker is going to rest up before Bible study and revel in all the hard work accomplished today.

No comments:

Post a Comment