Monday, June 20, 2011

No More Diapers!

I think every parent looks forward to the day when they don't have to buy another diaper.  The road there may be a little messy, but it's well worth it when you realize how much money you save in the end.  I would estimate around $500 a year, probably more for the first year.

So, let me just say, Hallelujah!  Peamite Bravo is sans diapers and is doing so well using the potty like a big girl!! I used the same method for her as I did for my son, and let me just say, she is a lot easier.  I've always heard that girls are easier to potty train than boys, so there may be some truth to that!

We started out by going to the store and letting her pick out her "big girl" underwear.  I knew to buy a lot so I wouldn't have to do a ton of laundry everyday, because the first couple of days, they go through 7 - 10 pairs before they get the hang of it.  She was very excited about her Tinkerbell underwear!

At one point on the first day, she brought me a diaper and asked me to put it on her, but I had to explain that diapers were for babies, and she's a big girl now.  Glad that worked!  Guess I should've put them out of sight first!  We took the leftover ones we had to our church's nursery so they could have some extra.

She had lots to drink and a couple of popsicles to give us plenty of opportunities to "practice."  For my little girl that does not like to be dirty, this method works great, and she caught on very quickly.  Of course we still have the occasional accident - why I will still be carrying a change of clothes for a while, but a lot better than lugging around a stocked diaper bag.  Also why I'm very glad that we have several sheets for her bed.  Since we converted her crib into a toddler bed, it has a water resistant mattress, so we saved on the cost of a mattress protector this time around.

Hope all you other mommies and daddies are having success with potty training.

No comments:

Post a Comment