Monday, July 11, 2011

Clearance Deal Meal

The other day I mentioned a few deals that I saw on the clearance shelves at my local Walmart.  Who knew that inspiration for dinner would be there, too?  I lucked out, I guess.

They had a lot of Lawry's Seasoning Mixes marked down to 25 cents each (down from $1.08!)  They're seasoning for a whole meal - these were the Mediterranean Sundried Tomato and Garlic Chicken.  Sounds yummy already.  There are a couple of recipes on the back, but I went with the main one listed (the packet's name sake.)  The recipe on the back of the packet called for a couple of ingredients I didn't have at home, but figured we didn't really need them for it to be good.  Only one of us would eat the olives, and feta cheese isn't exactly in the budget right now.


Here's the cost breakdown of the ingredients used for the meal I made:

about 1/2 a box of pasta (on clearance for 75 cents) = $0.37
1 Lawry's seasoning packet (on clearance for 25 cents) = $0.25
1 can diced tomatoes = $0.54
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts ($1.88 per pound) = $2.82
Total Cost: $3.98

The total brings this to about $1 per person for my 4 member family!

And here's the recipe (how I made it):

Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg. Lawry's Mediterranean Sundried Tomato & Garlic Chicken Seasoning Mix
1 1/2 cups Rotini pasta
1 cup water
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place chicken and pasta in a 13x9 inch baking dish.  Mix water, tomatoes, and seasoning mix until well blended.  Pour over the chicken and pasta.  Stir to coat.  Cover with foil.

Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  You can either cut the chicken up and stir into the pasta, or if you have enough, serve a chicken breast along side some pasta to each person.  Since I have 2 little peamites, I cut theirs up anyway.  I liked how the chicken tasted with a bite of pasta, so I ended up cutting my chicken up into the pasta, too!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment